The most frequently discussed topics among developers, designers, and accessibility professionals relate to the accessibility of calendar widgets. While it is not difficult to make a calendar widget accessible, there are still instances where date pickers are inaccessible and cannot be used by assistive technologies. While it is always possible to provide alternative methods of selecting dates, it is crucial that any date picker provided is made accessible, as such pickers provide users with valuable information on the day, week, and year, as opposed to text fields where users must guess and manually enter the date.
Recently, a friend approached asking me to share any examples of accessible calendar widgets and sure enough my friend Denis from WebAxe has a good collection here which I also listed below… all of these date pickers seem to work well with JAWS and Chrome browser and you might want to customize them further according to your needs.
Here is a selection of calendar widgets that are easily accessible and suitable for use in your upcoming project:
- ARIA Date Picker – [Recommended] AccDC Technical Style Guide by Bryan Garaventa
- Accessible Date Picker by Adina Halter
- Datepicker widget by Assets.cms.gov
- Date Picker Dialog Example by WAI-ARIA Authoring Practices 1.1
- Accessible Datepicker by Deque University
- Duet Date Picker
Our team working on Duet Design System couldn’t find an existing date picker that would’ve ticked all the requirements we had for accessibility (supporting WCAG 2.1 as well as we can), so we decided to build one and open source it so that others could benefit from this work as well.
- fymmot/inclusive-dates: A human-friendly datepicker. Supports natural language manual input through Chrono.js. Fully accessible with keyboard and screen
- ARIA date picker example by Athena
- jQuery UI datepicker by The Paciello Group (TPG)
- Native HTML Date Picker Demo
- reecelucas react-datepicker
- gpbl react-day-picker
- airbnb react-dates
An easily internationalizable, mobile-friendly datepicker library for the web
- rossoj85 react-ada-keyboard-accessible-datepicker